Personal assistants often act as the manager’s first point of contact.
What does a personal assistant do?
Typical responsibilities of the job include:
- answering telephone calls
- maintaining diaries
- arranging appointments
- taking messages
- typing/word processing
- organizing meetings
- using a variety of software packages
- booking transport and accommodation
- managing databases
- implementing and maintaining procedures/administrative systems
- liaising with staff, suppliers and clients
- preparing letters, presentations and reports
The work offers excellent scope for promotion into senior PA/administrative positions.
- Local and national government
- Small businesses
- Major companies
- Media firms
- Financial institutions
Where to Study
You need have Degree, Diploma or your national senior certificate and you can study any Basic training for certificates and diplomas is offered at various universities of technology, Colleges for FET – eg Boland, Northlink, South Cape, and private secretarial colleges, eg Academy of Learning, Rosebank College, ICESA, Varsity College.
What does a Personal Assistant do?